My weekly Sunday healthy & easy recipe!
A homemade gourmet pizza sauce for the cauliflower pizza base I made the other day. I will like the recipe here. You can obviously use regular pizza bases with this gourmet sauce as well, but making your own sauce comes with so many benefits- not only it tastes so much better but you avoid added salt, sweeteners and sugar hidden in bought sauces.
This recipe contains a dense source of tomatoes which are rich in an antioxidant called lycopene, this can help strengthen your immune system and protect against free radicals in the body. It also contains a high source of vitamin C, potassium and vitamin K.
- 1 tbl olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 an onion
- 1 tin of diced Italian tomatoes (or 1 cup of diced tomatoes)
- 1 heaped tbl tomato paste
- 1 tbl mixed herbs
- Pinch of chilli flakes (optional)
- Salt & pepper
- Fresh basil
- In a saucepan heat the oil and add the garlic and onion and fry for 2 minutes
- Add the tin of tomatoes, paste, mixed herbs, salt and pepper and optional chilli
- simmer on medium heat for ~10-15 minutes until the sauce has thickened and then add the fresh basil leaves and sit for another 2 minutes
- Once sauce is at its desired thickness, remove from the heat & cool
- If you prefer a smooth consistency bled the sauce up to a smooth paste, otherwise leave chunky (I prefer chunky)