Building a nourish bowl (or “left-overs” bowl)…..
A simple lunch option: use up the left overs in the fridge by substituting any ingredients for your own to suit your preferred taste. Keep in mind- choose at least one source from each food group and lots of vitamins and minerals, in this bowl I have included salmon for protein and healthy fats, pumpkin for carbohydrates and other vegetables for vitamins and minerals. Below I have listed some other substitutions that you may use but the options are endless!
To build your own bowl, try to include a source from each of the groups and then add extra salads and vegetables on top, it is so simple. Here are some ideas to add into your bowl.
Healthy protein options
- Meats (chicken, lamb, beef)
- Chickpeas and beans/legumes
- Tuna or other fish sources
Healthy fat options
- Fish (tuna, salmon, sardines)
- Olive oil (maybe in a homemade dressing, click here for some simple recipes)
- Crushed nuts sprinkled on top
Healthy Carbohydrate options
- Wholemeal pasta / quinoa
- Pumpkin, sweet potato and carrots (mixed vegetables)
- Toasted wholegrain bread / wrap
- 80g salmon fillet, baked
- 5 cherry tomatoes
- 1 whole beetroot
- 80g pumpkin, bake
- Clean chilli sauce
- Place the salmon and pumpkin on an oven tray. Drizzle both with olive oil and bake for 20-30 minutes on 180 degrees.
- Prepare the salad bowl with the remaining ingredients and add the salmon and pumpkin when cooked.
Simple, easy & delicious!